An intimate look inside the personal life of an International icon
Available December 05 2019
MYSTIFY MICHAEL HUTCHENCE is a powerfully intimate and insightful portrait of the internationally renowned frontman of INXS, Michael Hutchence. Deftly woven from an extraordinary archive of rich imagery, Michael’s private home movies and those of his lovers, friends, and family, the film delves beneath the public persona of the charismatic ‘Rock God’ and transports us through the looking glass to reveal a multifaceted, intensely sensitive and complex man. For an all too brief time, we revel in Michael’s Dionysian beauty and sensuality on stage and off. We listen to the range of his extraordinary voice and witness the charmed way he travels through life as he is propelled to world acclaim. But... More »
- EARLY DAYS
- Michael and INXS band members discuss the formation of the band and their first tour playing the mining towns of Western Australia.
- Michael discusses growing up amongst the film sets of Hong Kong, his appreciation of the craft of acting and his own experiences in movies.
- Three major INXS videos were filmed behind the iron curtain in former Czechoslovakia to accompany the bands sixth studio album, KICK. Michael reflects on the history of the city and the imprint that filming there left on him.
- AND NOW MAX Q
- Michael and Ollie Olsen introduce their concept for the band Max Q, followed by never before seen outtakes of Michael singing Max Q’s Sometimes.
- WAY OF THE WORLD MAX Q
- Michael discusses his feelings about America, followed by a restoration of the 1989 Max Q music video, Way of the World.
- HOW TO MAKE A MUSIC VIDEO
- Michael discusses the idiosyncratic chaos of working with the seemingly inept Richard Lowenstein.
- MOTORCYCLE BABY
- Michael discusses his love of motorcycles, featuring excerpts from the 1988 music video Motorcycle Baby, starring Michael Hutchence and Troy ‘Vanessa’ Davies.
- A FISH COMMERCIAL
- Michael discusses his personal feelings about the use of INXS music in television commercials.
- ALL THE LIES YOU FIND
- Michael philosophises and reflects.
- FINAL DAYS
- Those closest to Michael echo the brief encounters they shared in the days leading up to his death.
- STUCK IN A MOMENT
- Professor of Psychiatry, Steve Ellen analyses the never-before-released Coroner’s Report into Michael’s death and provides a clinical insight into his possible state of mind in the years, weeks & days leading up to his final moment.
- ABSOLUTELY NO WAY
- INXS Record Producer, Chris Thomas, recounts the night he learnt of Michael’s death.